Our History

Our History

Our church began life in the 1890s when it was part of the Howe Sound Circuit of the Methodist Church. In 1925 The United Church of Canada was formed from a union of Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregationalist churches in the country. At that time congregations including Gibsons, Roberts Creek, Sechelt and others became part of the West Howe Sound Pastoral Charge of The United Church of Canada. St. John’s United Church grew out of interdenominational services in the 1940s, culminating in the United Church purchase of St. John’s in Davis Bay in 1954. By the 1970s the pastoral charge consisted of Gibsons UC and St. John’s UC at Davis Bay.

By the late 1980s St. John’s had outgrown the little white church. It was sold to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada, and our current church was built on a new site on Davis Bay Road, with an opening service of celebration in 1990. We continued to be part of a two-point Pastoral Charge with Gibsons UC until 1997 when the two congregations became independent.

Our church has always had good relationships with churches of other denominations. Various ecumenical endeavors with St. Hilda’s Anglican Church in Sechelt and Living Faith Lutheran Church in Davis Bay continue to this day.